Thursday, October 3, 2019

for MIDDLESBROUGH MAGIC SHIP 290 (E)

PAPER BOATS
The girl never knew she held him
in the palm of her hand
till he slipped through her fingers
like fine grains of sand,

while he never knew how lucky
he was to escape her,
for her temper was a tempest
but the poet's boats were paper.

YOU'RE-A-PERSON-INCLINED-
TO-CORRECT-MISSPELT-WORDS
I have an inkling
that you are the type
who seeks out errors
in the words men write.

I have an inkling
that you come awake
over a verse-poet's
or a printer's mistake.

I have an inkling
you're under a spelling
of what the poet
or publisher's selling.

A-DAWN-DAISY
If only to awake
to a day that's new,
fresh as a daisy
in the morning dew,

and see the world
on such a morn
as though I'd died
and been reborn

and did not know
how it would pain
my very soul
to live again

when in time
this thought I'd find
does not ease
a troubled mind.

GENTLEMAN GIANT
Size twelve shoes
upon my big-feet,
my foot in mouth
wouldn't be a treat,
but with the ladies
I am always sweet,
even with the ones
not good enough to eat !

NEED AND GREED
Money's not the root
of all evil,
it is damn greed
that can bedevil.

I used to have money
to throw away
on the young ladies
who came my way.

But for beauty, too,
I'd not a greed,
though money fetch more
than you need !

LIFE AFLOAT NOTE
Not much a man
for materiality,
possessions pin me down,
I like to be free,
I like to feel a sort
of spirituality...

to consider my body
is but a boat
for the soul inside.
It keeps me afloat.
Yes, take note,
it keeps me afloat.

A-FOOL'S-CAP-OR-
THE-WIZARD'S-HAT ?
She couldn't believe the age of me
and thought I was the vanished Doctor Dee
or surely some wizard at longevity !
Though she may have been a sorceress
using magic words just to impress
a perfect fool. The girl did, I guess !

HUMPHREY BOGART-FIND-
I-AM-NOT-GIRL
I might have been Humphrey Bogart
were I not so tall,
and were you a beauty
you might have been Bacall.
No you're no plain-Jane,
but then you weren't Lauren.
Me ? I'm no Humphrey,
I'm too tall I'll say again.
Find that I won't say
"Here's looking at you kid",
because I just don't love you.
Probably never, not ever, did.



No comments:

Post a Comment