Monday, September 21, 2015

from MIDDLESBROUGH MAGIC SHIP Autumn Special 2015

There is a biography on McFly in which they'd have you believe the boy band was formed in 2003. In fact the boys were gigging in the late 1990s in the Teesside area. Dougie had been residing in Lune Street Saltburn as was a regular at The Queen public house. He joined the band a bit later. I hear he still has copies of my Saltburn Scene community magazine, which are now collectors' items. Also in the biography it says Tom had a dream of Star Girl. Actually, I gave him the idea for this and for NASA. Tom and Danny and Danny's 'mum' (the sexiest Nolan sister) were in The Marine, she bought me a pint. Tom had met Pete Doherty whom I'd already sent some of my writings. Both Tom and Pete are much younger than me. As several people in Saltburn know, Tom and the band offered me a £10, 000 loan for my idea once Star Girl came out years later. I'd just returned from Thailand and was going to go back in a short while, which I did (I teach English Language as well as Creative Writing). The band were in The Marine again. They were about to do a celebrity gig. Paul Rodgers and Brian May were there too. I declined the offer. I didn't like loans as students will appreciate ! The sexy Nolan sister mentioned Tom's pal, Mark, had helped him and was in Thailand, when she was a regular on Loose Women. I wish I'd got to know her better, back then, when I'd the chance !

Footnote: Coleen acted 'mum' to a very young Danny and booked into The Highfield (hotel) on Marton Road Middlesbrough as Jones not Nolan. It was there she met her future husband guitarist Ray Fensome. McFly played in a sports field near a school in Skelton in the late 1990s which is still remembered by the families who lived in the area. As I say, Dougie joined the boys later on. Coleen had got into a fight with a journalist who'd recognized her in The Highfield. She insisted her name was Jones not Nolan. She told me she intended to find a room in The Queen, Saltburn, which had once been a hotel. She also talked to people on the Sports field who recognized her, and she spoke of her separation from Shane (Richie). She was also seeking a job in the North East but didn't get it. She'd later join the tv programme Loose Women. The programme following my mention, Coleen told viewers that Danny had got angry with her for doing so. She apologized with some difficulty ! He'd told her to say Tom wouldn't need help  with his writings etc ! I have since tried to contact Coleen and the lads on my return from Thailand, but received no replies.

No comments:

Post a Comment